Process safety management
mechanical integrity checklist
PSM mechanical integrity overview
Companies have to establish and implement clear procedures to maintain the ongoing integrity of process equipment.
Employees involved in maintaining the ongoing integrity of process equipment should be aware of that process and its hazards.
Inspection and testing should be performed on process equipment, following recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices.
The frequency of process equipment inspections and tests varies but should conform to the manufacturers’ recommendations and good engineering practices. Or if determined by prior operating experience.
PSM mechanical integrity checklistPSM mechanical integrity requirements apply to the following equipment:
- Pressure vessels and storage tanks
- Piping systems (including piping components such as valves)
- Relief and vent systems and devices
- Emergency shutdown systems
- Controls (including monitoring devices and sensors, alarms, and interlocks)
- Identifying the date of the inspection or test
- The name of the person who performed the inspection or test
- The serial number or other identifiers of the equipment on which the inspection or test was performed
- A description of the inspection or test performed, and the results of the inspection or test
- Equipment deficiencies outside the acceptable limits defined by the process safety information have to be corrected before further use.
- When operating at new plants and with new equipment, a company has to ensure that equipment is suitable for the process application for which it will be used.
- Appropriate checks and inspections have to be performed to ensure that equipment is installed properly and is consistent with design specifications and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ensure that maintenance materials, spare parts, and equipment are all suitable for the process application for which they will be used.
Lockout tagout safety proceduresTopics covered Defining lockout tagout OSHA lockout tagout requirements Enforcing lockout tagout for injury prevention Blog » Lockout tagout safety procedures Controlling and containing hazardous energy is a critical part of workplace...
Process safety management training checklistTopics covered PSM training checklist Training frequency & documentation Blog » Process safety management training checklistPSM training checklist Implementation of an effective training program is one of the most...